No time to hike? Does the sport seem too strenuous or physically demanding? Maybe you’d like to start hiking but aren’t sure where to begin. Or you’re waiting for a break in the weather (please, God).
Not to fret. Here are 8+ Easy Ways to Enjoy Hiking or Hiking Prep Without Actually Hiking:
- Check out the Beginner’s Guide to Hiking. Tips and advice on backpacking, hiking, and the great outdoors in this video. About two and a half minutes.
- Peruse Top 10 Best Hikes in California and/or 10 Best Days Hikes in California, North to South. Trails in Torrey Pines, San Diego and Anza-Borrego State Park to Santa Barbara, Sequoia and Kings Canyon, Lassen, Joshua Tree, Inyo National Forest, Lake Tahoe and Yosemite.
- Lace up with Bill Bryson’s A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail. Brisk, engaging, and unexpectedly hilarious!
- Dive into Floyd Schmoe’s A Year in Paradise. An eloquent personal narrative brimming with information and reflections about Mount Rainier and the surrounding region. The author was the first naturalist for Mount Rainier National Park and a two-time nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Read just about any hiking resource by Seabury Blair, Jr. His day hike guides are excellent and include detailed trail notes for hikes in Washington, the Olympic Peninsula, and Oregon. Tip: Creaky Knees Guide Washington: 100 Best Easy Hikes in the State.
- Check out the Mount Rainier National Park channel on You Tube. Ninety+ short videos on everything from park history to Sunrise wildflowers and Ohanapecosh archaeology. Also trips to specific sites in the park during all four seasons.
- Here are 8 Things You Can Do RIGHT NOW While You’re Waiting for Trails to Melt Out.
- You might also want to take a gander at 12 Top Trails at Mount Rainier. Or: Kindle edition. By Yours Truly.
You can also join us on the trails via video. Like on the Naches Peak Loop Trail at Mount Rainier (below). We’ll do the work. You can just sit back and watch. A little over a minute. (J.S. Bach’s Air Suite at no extra charge.)